Wednesday, August 12, 2009

This is my father Mark (on the right) after he shaved my head this past summer.

Waiting in the parking lot this fine summer morning was made difficult beings I knew my father would be surprised when he saw me. He wasn't expecting me to be in town until later that day, but my morning plans had shifted and here I was, smack dab in the middle of the Mason City Aqua Center parking lot, thinking of how I might react someday if my child surprised me with a earlier arrival time then planned on. I don't have children yet, but it's hard not to imagine being a father in the near future. In fact, in a few minutes, my dad and I would be in the swimming pool swimming laps side by side. Every once in a while we would wait for one another at either end of the pool, exchange a high five or hug, and then continue on as we only had an hour to swim. Although my dad and I didn't live in the same house for an extended time in my life, I think the last few years we've both made special time for each other where we can spend some good quality father & son time. I only hope I will be doing this years down the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment