Thursday, March 19, 2009

Figurative Language: Simile

Figurative language can really make a piece of writing 'come to life'. One type of figurative language is the simile. A simile is the comparison of two unlike things using like or as. Here are two examples of similes. The first example comes from the book Eggs by Jerry Spinelli.

"He opened his eyes and followed the river to the crown of the rising sun. It (the sun) was crisp and sharp and beautiful and smooth as a painted egg."

As you can read, Spinelli is comparing the rising sun to a painted egg. Two unlike things that are in his mind, beautiful. My second example is one I just made up.

The fifth grade students sounded like a steam train coming down the hall. Here, I am comparing fifth grade students to a steam train. Two unlike things, that sometimes sound very much alike!

Please post your own similes in the comments section. Thanks to those who post!

10 comments:

  1. I've found many similes in the songs I listen to! One example is that in Mary's Song by Taylor Swift it saids that a mans eyes twinkle like stars in the sky. I also found many similes in the books I'm reading. In Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech it saids, "The fireplace is like Phoebe's story. Underneath her's is mine." Finally in my writing I've been useing more similes like... The wind was brushing my face like grandma does.


    -Nicole♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesterday at school I found a simile.

    The glinting sunlight on the peach was like a massive golden ball sailing upon a silver sea.

    That is from the book James and the Giant Peach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my book, Seekers, I'm finding many good similes and metaphors! One simile would be:

    "Her stomach growled like bolts of lightning."
    And I can't seem to find any metaphors right now.

    -Alexie♥☻ how did I get a ☻? Alt,2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Coleman and Alexie! Alt,2?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here is my simile:

    Your heart is as warm as the sun ☼


    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this simile up:

    The lake was as shiny as a star.

    Morgan ☻ ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here is my simile:

    The puppy was as soft as cotton.

    Lindsey ☼ ☺ ☻

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the book Eleven by Patricia Giff.

    example of a metaphor: She leaned closer, her eyes so large, those frecles like constellation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. is there any similes in diary of a wimpy kid dog days?

    ReplyDelete